Attend Some Of The Best Events In Charleston
It’s safe to say that the best events in Charleston attract visitors to Charleston every season! From dock dog jumping competitions in winter to summer’s epic 4th of July fireworks displays, there’s always something exciting going on in Charleston, SC. Let’s explore the best events in Charleston by season!
Spring Events In Charleston
Charleston, SC is a city that is known for its beautiful spring weather, historic charm, and vibrant culture. Here are some of the best spring events and festivals that take place in Charleston:
- Charleston Wine + Food Festival: Held annually in early March, this festival celebrates Charleston's culinary scene and features food and drink events, tastings, and cooking demonstrations.
- Festival of Houses and Gardens: This festival takes place from mid-March to mid-April and offers visitors the opportunity to explore some of Charleston's most beautiful and historic homes and gardens.
- Cooper River Bridge Run: This 10K race takes place in early April and draws thousands of runners from all over the world. The course takes runners over the iconic Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge and offers stunning views of the Charleston Harbor.
- Spoleto Festival USA: This internationally renowned performing arts festival takes place in late May and early June and features music, dance, theater, and opera performances in venues throughout Charleston.
Visit In Summer For The Best Events In Charleston
Visit Charleston in the summertime for access to beautiful beaches and warm weather. Here are some of the best summer events and festivals that take place in Charleston:
- Fourth of July Fireworks: Charleston has one of the largest Fourth of July fireworks displays on the East Coast, with fireworks launching from the harbor and visible from many locations throughout the city.
- Charleston Carifest: This annual festival, which takes place in late June, celebrates Caribbean culture with music, dance, food, and a parade.
- Charleston Farmers Market: The Charleston Farmers Market is open every Saturday from April to December and features local vendors selling fresh produce, flowers, and handmade crafts. It's a great way to experience the local community and support small businesses.
- Charleston Restaurant Week: This biannual event takes place in early September and offers diners the chance to try out some of Charleston's best restaurants at a discounted price. If you miss the September iteration, you can schedule a visit for the next Restaurant Week in January!
Fall Festivals In Charleston
Charleston, SC is a great place to visit in the fall, now that the peak tourism season is beginning to wind down. Here are some of the best fall events and festivals that take place in Charleston:
- Charleston Oktoberfest: This festival celebrates German culture with music, food, and of course, plenty of beer. It's typically held in late September or early October.
- MOJA Arts Festival: This 10-day festival, which takes place in late September, celebrates African-American and Caribbean culture with music, dance, theater, and visual arts performances.
- Boone Hall Fright Night is a popular Halloween event held annually in October at the Boone Hall Plantation in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, just outside of Charleston. It is a haunted attraction that features a series of scare zones and haunted houses that are designed to scare and thrill visitors.
- Charleston International Film Festival: This festival, which takes place in early November, showcases independent films from around the world and offers screenings, workshops, and networking opportunities.
The Best Winter Events In Charleston
Want to know one of the best things about a Charleston winter? It’s more like spring or fall! Temperatures rarely fall below freezing in the Charleston winter, though the city has seen snow from time to time in the past few years. Check out some of the best events in Charleston in the winter, including New Year's Eve at the Aquarium:
- Holiday Festival of Lights: Held annually from mid-November through early January, this festival features over two million holiday lights and is held at the James Island County Park.
- Charleston Jazz Festival: This festival takes place in early January and celebrates jazz music with performances from local and national musicians.
- Lowcountry Oyster Festival: Held annually in late January, this festival celebrates the delicious local oysters with oyster shucking contests, live music, and food vendors.
- Southeastern Wildlife Exposition: This event, held annually in mid-February, celebrates wildlife and nature with art, exhibits, and educational events.
As you can see, anytime is an excellent time to visit Charleston, SC! Whether you’re looking for the best hotels in Charleston or the best restaurants in Charleston, there are fun things to do in every area of the city, and the best beaches in Charleston are accessible all year long.