River Island Adventures is not your ordinary adventure outfitter, folks! They’ve transformed a private 48-acre island into a destination where you and your crew can spend the night in a treehouse while competing to outwit, outplay, and outlast one another in a Survivor-style escape challenge during the day.
Prepare to compete in ten intense Survivor-style challenges, unlocking your tandem kayak and racing a half mile up the Waccamaw River back to the River Island Outpost. The outfitter offers two options to suit your level of adventure. Escape River Island is a two-hour shorter thrill, where 12 people split into two tribes, battling it out in challenges and voting each other off the island. If you're up for the ultimate test, the reward for the 72-hour Survive River Island is worth it—a $4,000 prize package awaits the winning team!
Testimonials From River Island Adventures Survivors
Laurie Blasko remarks: River Island Adventures provided a one-of-a-kind, challenging experience unlike anything I've done before. A group of us from Journey Church participated in their “Escape River Island” challenge during our staff retreat. It was a great way as a team to connect, compete, and create super fun memories that we won't forget.
Carolina Traveler, Betty, recommends River Island Adventures for couples and groups who are looking for something outside of the typical Myrtle Beach experience: We booked a guided kayak tour with RIA and enjoyed every minute of it! Upon our arrival we were greeted by the very professional yet laid back staff and they invited us to play backyard games as we waited for other guests. We then hit the water and kayaked for what seemed like all morning. It was a workout but a great change of pace from lying on the beach 🏖️. We highly recommend this to anyone that loves the outdoors and would love a break from the typical Myrtle Beach experience!
Things To Do Near Longs, SC
Located 15 minutes outside of North Myrtle Beach and half an hour outside of Myrtle Beach, SC, Longs is close to an array of exciting attractions along the Grand Strand. Check out some of the best things to do in Myrtle Beach below, which are sure to thrill Carolina travelers of all ages:
- Swashbucklers, look no further! Pirates Voyage Myrtle Beach captivates audiences with a pirate-themed dinner show featuring Captain Blackbeard and co. Enjoy dazzling aerial and acrobatic feats, duels, and sunken treasure hunts as you dine at a location labeled “The Most Fun Place to Eat” in Myrtle Beach.
- What do you get when you cross Iron Man and Aquaman? Soar above the seas hydroflight-style at 2 The Sky Flyboard, where you can try flyboarding, hoverboarding, or jetpacking.
- Take a stroll along Broadway at the Beach, where you'll encounter one-of-a-kind adventures like Ripley's Aquarium, WonderWorks, and the Hollywood Wax Museum, among plenty other family-friendly attractions.
- If you're looking for festivals and events, check out our recommendations for the best events in Myrtle Beach, broken down by season.
Where To Stay In And Around Longs, SC
If your group opts for the 72-hour Survive River Island challenge — offered once a year — you'll stay in a stunning treehouse that features two bedrooms, sleeping six to eight adventurers, and boasting over 1,000 sq ft of indoor and outdoor covered space. You can paddle to the island in kayaks or arrive in style with a pontoon drop-off.
If you're seeking a perfect blend of comfort and nature, the glamping tents are the way to go, providing more of a hotel experience right in the heart of nature. They even have chandeliers hanging from the inside of the tents!
For those participating in the more popular two-hour thrill, there are many places to stay in the Longs area. Learn more about the best hotels in Myrtle Beach, SC.
Good Eats In Longs, SC
While some of the best restaurants in the Longs area can be found in Myrtle Beach, Longs has its own local favorites worth trying out:
- Bistro90 is a top-rated, award-winning steakhouse offering a mouth-watering wine list. Dress code is “sporty casual,” meaning you can come right from the golf course! Decadent starters include Hudson Valley “A” grade foie gras, smoked duck breast and risotto, and caviar service with traditional accompaniments. Address: 7209 SC Hwy 90, Longs, SC 29568
- Specializing in Italian and surf & turf items like fresh-caught grouper stuffed with crab meat and lobster ravioli swimming in homemade vodka sauce, Parkway Bistro additionally offers a tantalizing brunch menu. Did somebody say $3.50 mimosas?! Address: 2126 SC Hwy 9 East, Unit D2, Longs, SC 29568
- Little River Deli is kind of a big deal in Longs, SC…Beloved for their Tuesday specials — which might include hearty dishes like pork marsala, stuffed shells, and a whopping slice of triple layer tuxedo cake for under $10 — this local gem keeps diners coming back for more with their in-house prepared roast beef and decadent desserts. Address: 2352 SC Hwy 9 E, Longs, SC 29568
- Chris' Pizza & Pub is a neighborhood pizzeria that has been serving up slices for over two decades! Dine in or order online; whether you're looking for a sub, wrap, heaping salad, or traditional New York-style pie, you'll find savory options at Chris'. Address: 170 Surfrider Blvd Unit C, Longs, SC 29568
Learn more about the best breweries in Myrtle Beach.
River Island Adventures: Know Before You Go
Outfitter: River Island Adventures
Address: 1249 Vera Rd, Longs, SC 29568
Ages: 6 and up for Survive River Island; check with the outfitter for Escape River Island eligibility (843-882-7487)
Rates: $395 per person for a 72-hour island experience; $54 (adult) or $44 (youth) for a 2-hour experience
Dates: Escape River Island is offered daily in the summer (except Sundays) from 9:30-11:30 AM or 1-3 PM; Survive River Island is offered once a year in the fall (call or email the outfitter at email@example.com)