Imagine the world bursting into life upon seeing color for the first time, as the once-muted landscape unveils its hidden treasures. The crystal clear Tar Heel blue sky. The pink and purple seashells bestowed upon the shores by the Atlantic Ocean at high tide. The kaleidoscope of orange, red, and yellow leaves witness from a serene vantage point along the Blue Ridge Parkway.
For those who were born, bred, or drawn to the Carolinas, there's never a moment when its understated allure is taken for granted. This September, Carolina Traveler is hoping to create such life-altering experiences for two individuals living with color blindness.
September Is International Color Blind Awareness Month
One in 12 men (8%) and one in 200 women (.5%) are color blind — 13 million in the US and 350 million worldwide. People with red-green color vision deficiency (“color blindness”) only see 10% of the one million hues and shades visible to those with regular color vision. At work, school, in daily life, or when exploring nature or viewing artwork, it can be difficult for them to see and experience red and green and colors containing them. What's more — nearly half of color blind people don't discover that they are color blind until after 7th grade. Almost 20% don't have the realization until after high school.
In honor of Color Blind Awareness Month in September, Carolina Traveler is partnering with EnChroma Color Blind Glasses to support color blind awareness with a Fall Colors Giveaway. We are excited to give away two pairs of EnChroma glasses to two winners in the hopes of opening their world to a broader range and deeper intensity of color. Iconic destinations like Rainbow Row in Charleston, the Great Smoky Mountains of western NC, the dazzling boardwalk attractions of Myrtle Beach, and the beautiful gardens, art, and murals that make up the Lake Lure Flowering Bridge can now be more fully experienced and appreciated by color blind Carolina Travelers.
Rules For Entering The Carolina Traveler Fall Colors Giveaway
Anyone can take the test, but only Carolina Traveler VIPs are eligible to enter and win the Fall Colors Giveaway.
Please review the terms for entry:
- Entrants must NOT wear or need prescription glasses for vision issues besides reading or driving (wearing contact lenses is fine).
- The winner of the Fall Colors Giveaway will be asked to verify their color blindness by submitting (by email) their results of the EnChroma color blindness test. Please email your test results to firstname.lastname@example.org as a PNG, JPG, or PDF file attachment. Your emailed test result must have your full name on it and match the full name on your Carolina Traveler VIP account.
- Each entrant may only submit one test result — your emailed test result will count as your single submission.
- The winner of the Fall Colors Giveaway will be required to post their reaction to trying on the EnChroma glasses for the first time and to tag @CarolinaTravelr and @enchroma social channels.
When Will The Fall Colors Giveaway Winner Be Announced?
The Fall Colors Giveaway will take place throughout the month of September, with the winners being drawn at noon on Friday, Sep. 29, 2023.
Carolina Traveler VIPs who enter the Fall Colors Giveaway should keep an eye out in their email for correspondence from Carolina Traveler announcing their prize and further instructions. Carolina Traveler will also announce the name of the two winners — once confirmed — in our weekly newsletter.
I'm Not A Carolina Traveler VIP Subscriber, But I'd Like To Enter…
Not only is it easy to become a Carolina Traveler VIP subscriber — the perks and inside scoops are totally worth it! When you become a Carolina VIP subscriber, you gain access to the following:
- Free event tickets and invitations to VIP experience
- Carolina Traveler magazine delivered to your home
- Access to the digital Carolina Traveler magazine
- Subscriber-only content on the Carolina Traveler website
- Access to all of the back issues of Carolina Traveler
- Access to the weekly Carolina Traveler newsletter
- A bonus issue of the annual Heritage Guide
Free tickets, did you say? When you become a Carolina Traveler VIP, you become eligible to win free tickets, prizes, and priority access to exclusive events in NC and SC. Some of our recent giveaways have included free tickets to:
- Carolina Renaissance Festival (one of the best annual festivals in Charlotte, NC)
- Green River Adventures (canoeing, kayaking, whitewater rafting, rappelling, and other thrilling adventures!)
- Charleston Aqua Park (a giant inflatable obstacle course makes for one of the best things to do with kids in Charleston, SC)
- The Beer, Bourbon & BBQ Festival (one of the best spring events in Wilmington, NC)
- The Polar Express (it's true — Santa's iconic train ride can be enjoyed in the western NC mountains!)
Ready to sign up? It's easy! Just follow these steps to become a Carolina Traveler VIP:
- Go to https://carolinatraveler.com/
- Click the ‘Subscribe' button in the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Scroll down to select the ‘VIP' subscription package.
- Make your secure online payment.
- Be on the lookout for your first issue and weekly newsletter!
“I Am Not Going To Get Emotional” People With Color Blindness Experience Color For The First Time
Check out the following reaction videos to see the special moments when people with color blindness experience the full spectrum of the rainbow for the first time: